Mississippi Association of Partners in Education #PartnershipPower
2018 Governor’s Award: Vicksburg Warren School District - Vivian Burey Marshall Academy STEM Pilot Initiative
Partners: Vivian Burey Marshall Academy STEM Pilot Initiative, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Engineer Research and Development Center, Alcorn State University, Jackson State University
Volunteers: 150 Partnership duration: 2 years
In 2015, the Thurgood Marshall College Fund chose Vicksburg Warren School District as a site for the Vivian Burey Marshall STEM Pilot Initiative. Funded by the U.S.Army, the initiative is designed to increase participation of underrepresented and typically under-resourced students in STEM fields. Beginning in the 2015-16 school year, 107 students in grades 6-10 received out-of-school support from student mentors attending Historically Black Colleges and Universities as well as U.S. Army scientists and engineers. The program provides access to university and Army facilities and a collection of programs and experiences to support students’ development and nurture a life-long love of STEM.
• Students participate in Scholar Science Scene activities twice a week
• Army Education Outreach Program: GEMS Camp, Junior Solar Sprint, robotics coaches, tours, etc.
• Field trips to Nissan, Davis Planetarium, etc., and conferences in Boston, Orlando, Washington, D.C.
• Student competitions: FIRST Lego League, FIRST Tech, FIRST Robotics, MathCounts, etc.
• 1st Junior Solar Sprint team in Mississippi; advanced to National Championship
• MathCounts: 7th Place out of 17 Teams
• Future City Competition: 4th Place, Louisiana Region
• Numerous awards in FIRST competitions
• Vicksburg Teacher Fellow Alumni selected for AEOP RESET cohort for 2017-18 school year