Mississippi Association of Partners in Education #PartnershipPower
2018 Partnership Excellence Award: Mississippi Department of Transportation
Partner: Mississippi State University
In addition to offering professional development training and materials to full-time K-12 educators, MDOT added training for pre-service teachers to help reduce the learning curve that is common for many new teachers. Two 2015 pre-service teacher training sessions at Mississippi State University and University of Mississippi served as pilot programs 2017 training at MSU. Student interns participated in hands-on activities, observed veteran teachers model activities and answer questions about real-life ways to increase student learning, and received more than 150 STEAM lesson plans. In addition, preservice students hired as K-8 classroom teachers in Mississippi next year receive a trunk of manipulatives linked to the curriculum.
• 2 veteran teachers to conduct STEAM training for 78 pre-service teachers in April 2018 at MSU
• MDOT and MSU divided responsibilities for training.
• Curriculum updated to align with STEAM, College and Career Readiness Standards, and national mathematics and science standards
• 1,560+ students will receive improved STEAM instruction annually as a result of training
• Will help students prepare for estimated 46,000 STEM-related jobs coming to Mississippi
• Vast majority of participants rated program as “excellent” on evaluation forms